Recreation League Information
The Pittsburgh Dynamo Recreation League is intended to provide kids ~4-18 years old with an environment where they can learn the game of soccer, have fun playing, and develop as players. All coaches and administrators are volunteers, though many have soccer backgrounds and US Soccer coaching licenses. No official scores or standings are kept in the Rec league as the emphasis is on developing soccer skills rather than winning.
Dynamo follows guidelines set by PA West Soccer. The latest information can viewed here: Covid 19 Mitigation Protocols. Prior to the start of the Fall 2021 season, we will send communication detailing the current policy and practices of PA West Soccer regarding health and safety measures. We will continue to communicate any significant changes during the course of the season.
Jump to a particular topic using the links below, or scroll down for more information.
Registration | Important Dates | Dynamo Philosophy | Age Groups | Formats and Rules | Equipment | Practice Schedule and Fields | Game Schedule and Fields | Lost and Found
Fall 2021 Registration Info
- Registration for this season is now closed. To see your registration information, go directly to your account and Login/Register.
- Season consists of 8 practices and 8 games, weather-permitting
- Each player receives a team shirt
- Final game is parents vs. kids
- Scholarships are available for those in need (email [email protected])
- All practices are 5:30 to 6:30 pm at Schenley Oval, choose a weeknight when registering and we will try to accommodate
- Games are either Saturday or Sunday mornings at Schenley Oval
Fall 2021 Dates
- Registration Open late July through late August
- Team notifications around September 8th
- Practices begin the week of September 13th
- First game weekend is September 18/19
- Final game weekend is November 6/7
Dynamo's philosophy emphasizes development of fundamental soccer skills, knowledge of the rules of soccer, and good sporting behavior with an eye towards creating lifelong lovers of the game of soccer. We seek to minimize outside pressures on our players. We do not pursue success in competition for its own sake, but only as a by-product of our approach.
We expect all spectators to model this behavior both in practice and in match play, specifically by:
- showing respect for all coaches and referees at all times;
- showing respect for all players regardless of perceived skill level;
- praising positive team behaviors rather than individual efforts;
- minimizing sideline involvement (i.e. NO coaching from the sidelines).
Please keep in mind that Dynamo is an entirely volunteer-run organization. Parents who have the urge to shout out instructions to players, coaches, or referees must restrain themselves or will be asked to find another league.
In accordance with U.S. Soccer, age groups are birth-year based, so even if a group is called "U6" it will likely have a combination of 4- and 5-year olds in the fall, and 5- and 6-year-olds in the spring. If your children are younger than these age groups, please check out other programs in our area for some beginning soccer instruction (for example, SoccerShots and HappyFeet).
The rec league age groups for the Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 seasons are:
* Due to generally lower numbers in the older age groups, we may be more limited in the options we're able to offer.
- U5 Coed: Born in 2017
- U6 Coed: Born in 2016
- U7/8 Boys: Born in 2014 or 2015
- U7/8 Girls: Born in 2014 or 2015
- U9/10 Boys: Born in 2012 or 2013
- U9/10 Girls: Born in 2012 or 2013
- U11/12 Coed: Born in 2010 or 2011
- 13+ Boys*: Born before 2010
- 13+ Girls*: Born before 2010
What about playing "up" or "down" a level?
We want everyone to have a positive experience with Dynamo. If your child is very advanced for his/her age, and you think it would benefit everyone to have him/her play in an older age group, register your child for the standard age group, then please contact [email protected] with your request.
Having players play down to a younger age group has more potential problems, but in some cases where children are born late in the year and/or are on the small side for their age, we may be able to allow a child to play in the next lower age group. Please contact [email protected]) with details.
Formats and Rules
|Games||3 v 3|
(side by side)
|3 v 3|
(side by side)
|4 v 4|
(side by side)
|7 v 7|
|9 v 9|
|11 v 11|
|Goals||Pop-up||Pop-up||Pop-up||6 x 10||7 x 14||7 x 21|
|Field Size||20 x 30 yds||20 x 30 yds||25 x 35 yds||40 x 60 yds||50 x 80 yds||Full|
* Offside in U10 is more loosely called as players are still learning the rule. At this level, it should be called only in cases of cherry-picking or obvious and significant advantage.
** Buildout lines are intended to encourage players to work on pass the ball out from the back rather than just pummeling it downfield. U10 fields should have clear buildout lines visible. The younger age groups will not have lines, but the defending team should still be encouraged to back significantly away during goal kicks.
Regardless of age, each child participating in the Rec League should have some basic items for each practice and game:
Players should wear weather-appropriate athletic clothing. Team shirts will be distributed during the first week of the season and should be worn to each game. Wearing them to practice is optional, or at the discretion of the coach.
- Soccer Ball (size 3 up to and including U8, size 4 for U10 and U12, and size 5 thereafter)
- Soccer socks to cover shinguards
- Appropriate footwear (soccer cleats are ideal, other soccer shoes are good)
- Water bottle
Practice Schedule and Fields
Practice ScheduleEach team has one practice per week. All practices are from 5:30 to 6:30 pm at Schenley Oval. When registering, you can select which weeknight works best for you, and we will try to accommodate your request.
Practice Fields Maps
Practice CancellationBecause each coach knows his or her team best, we leave it to coaches to make the decision to cancel practices based on weather conditions. Coaches should let their teams know no later than 4:30 pm on practice days if practice will be cancelled.
Game Schedule and Fields
Game ScheduleEach team has one game per week, either Saturday or Sunday at Schenley Oval. Times are between 9:00 am and 1:00 pm depending on age group.
U5 Coed Schedule: Link | PDF
U6 Coed Schedule: Link | PDF
U8 Girls Schedule: Link | PDF
U8 Boys Schedule: Link | PDF
U10 Girls Schedule: Link | PDF
U10 Boys Schedule: Link | PDF
U12 Coed Schedule: Link | PDF
13+ Girls Schedule: Link | PDF
13+ Boys Schedule: Link | PDF
Game schedules will be posted here before the start of the season.
Game Fields Map
Game CancellationIn the case of severe weather, the league will make the call whether or not to cancel all games for a particular weekend. Game cancellations will be listed on the website, emailed, and posted on Facebook.
Lost and Found
Items found after practices or games may be reported to [email protected] and will be listed here.