Recreation League Information
The Pittsburgh Dynamo Recreation League is intended to provide kids ~4-18 years old with an environment where they can learn the game of soccer, have fun playing, and develop as players. All coaches and administrators are volunteers, though many have soccer backgrounds and US Soccer coaching licenses. No official scores or standings are kept in the Rec league as the emphasis is on developing soccer skills rather than winning.
Dynamo requires all participants (players, parents, coaches, and referees) to wear a mask at all times while present at practice and matches. This is in accordance with guidelines set out by PA West.
We take the health and safety of our players seriously. For information about our safe return to play guidelines, please visit the page below.
Jump to a particular topic using the links below, or scroll down for more information.
Registration | Important Dates | Dynamo Philosophy | Age Groups | Equipment | Practice Schedule and Fields | Game Schedule and Fields | Lost and Found
Spring 2021 Registration Info
- Registration is now closed for the Spring 2021 Dynamo Rec League
- Season consists of 8 practices and 8 games, weather-permitting
- Each player receives a team shirt, plus a trophy at the end of the season
- Final game is parents vs. kids
- Scholarships available for those in need (email [email protected])
- All practices are 5:30 to 6:30 pm at Schenley Oval, choose a weeknight when registering and we will try to accommodate
- Games are either Saturday or Sunday mornings at Schenley Oval
Spring 2021 Dates (Tentative)
- Team notifications around April 7th
- Practices begin the week of April 19th
- First game weekend is April 24/25
- June 12/13: Final games
Bear in mind that age groups are birth-year based, so even if a group is called "U6" it will likely have a combination of 4- and 5-year olds in the fall, and 5- and 6-year-olds in the spring. If you have kids younger than this, there are other programs in the area that offer some beginning soccer instruction, such as SoccerShots and HappyFeet.
Rec League Age Groups for 2020-21 Season
- U5 Coed: Born in 2016
- U6 Coed: Born in 2015
- U7/8 Boys: Born in 2013 or 2014
- U7/8 Girls: Born in 2013 or 2014
- U9/10 Boys: Born in 2011 or 2012
- U9/10 Girls: Born in 2011 or 2012
- U11/12 Coed: Born in 2009 or 2010
- 13+ Boys*: Born before 2009
- 13+ Girls*: Born before 2009
* Due to generally lower numbers in the older age groups, we may be more limited in the options we're able to offer.
Playing Up or Down a Level
We want everyone to have a positive experience with Dynamo Rec. If your child is very advanced for his/her age, and you think it would benefit everyone to have him/her play in an older age group, register your child for the standard age group, then please contact the commissioner ([email protected]) and we can move your child up.
Though having players play down in a younger age group has more potential problems, in some cases where children are born late in the year and/or are on the small side for their age we may be able to allow a child to play down. Contact the commissioner ([email protected]) with details.
Age Group Formats and Rules
|Games||3 v 3|
(side by side)
|3 v 3|
(side by side)
|4 v 4|
(side by side)
|7 v 7|
|9 v 9|
|11 v 11|
|Goals||Pop-up||Pop-up||Pop-up||6 x 10||7 x 14||7 x 21|
|Field Size||20 x 30 yds||20 x 30 yds||25 x 35 yds||~40 x 60 yds||~50 x 80 yds||Full|
* Buildout lines are intended to encourage players to work on pass the ball out from the back rather than just pummeling it downfield. U10 fields should have clear buildout lines visible. The younger age groups will not have lines, but the defending team should still be encouraged to back significantly away during goal kicks.
** Offside in U10 is more loosely called as players are still learning the rule. At this level, it should be called only in cases of cherry-picking or obvious and significant advantage.
*** Due to the pandemic and the low-stakes nature of the Rec League, no referees will be used for Rec games during the spring of 2021.
Dynamo's philosophy emphasizes development of fundamental soccer skills, knowledge of the rules of soccer, and good sporting behavior with an eye towards creating lifelong lovers of the game of soccer. We seek to minimize outside pressures on our players. We do not pursue success in competition for its own sake, but only as a by-product of our approach.
For parents, this specifically means:
NO coaching from the sidelines.
NO calling out individual players' names during games. "Go Green!" and "Nice shot, Green!" are fine.
Respect coaches and refs.
Parents who have the urge to shout out instructions to players, coaches, or referees must restrain themselves or find another league.
Regardless of age, each child participating in the Rec League should have some basic items for each practice and game:
- Soccer Ball (size 3 up to and including U8, size 4 for U10 and U12, and size 5 thereafter)
- Soccer socks to cover shinguards
- Appropriate footwear (soccer cleats are ideal, other soccer shoes are good)
- Water bottle
Players should wear weather-appropriate athletic clothing, of course. Team shirts will be distributed during the first week of the season, and should be worn to each game. Wearing them to practice is totally optional, depending on how frequently you like to do laundry.
Practice Schedule and Fields
Each team has one practice per week. All practices are from 5:30 to 6:30 pm at Schenley Oval. When registering, you can select which weeknight works best for you, and we will try to accommodate your request.
Practice Field Maps have been posted below.
Because each coach knows his or her team best, we leave it to coaches to make the decision whether to cancel practices or not based on weather conditions. Coaches should let their teams know no later than 4:30 pm on practice days if practice will be cancelled.
Game Schedule and Fields
Games are on Saturdays or Sundays at Schenley Oval. Times are between 9 am and 1 pm depending on age groups.
Game Fields Map
Game Schedules by Age Group
U5 Coed: Web | PDF
U6 Coed: Web | PDF
U8 Boys: Web | PDF
U8 Girls: Web | PDF
U10 Boys: Web | PDF
U10 Girls: Web | PDF
U12 Coed: Web | PDF
13+ Boys: Web | PDF
13+ Girls: Web | PDF
In the (inevitable) case of inclement weather, the league will make the call whether or not to cancel all games for a particular weekend. Game cancellations will be listed on the website, emailed, and posted on Facebook.
Lost and Found
Items that have been reported lost or found will be listed here.